Why does meditation work for someone and for someone doesn`t?
I want to clarify at the beginning – meditation works many times! But how?
When and why did I start to meditate?
The first time was five or six years ago, my sister started to go on a group meditation and she invited me. I attended the meditation class once a week. It was like I do some exercises, mental exercises. I knew that they are useful, but these were rather rational thoughts. I have always believed that our mind has enormous power: that whatever we do with, it is good, any kind of practice for the mind is useful. I also liked the texts which we received at the end of the sessions. The key message was: do not pay attention on the things which are outside of you because everything what truly exists is inside of you.
I experienced my first emotional experience when Mohan, the receiver of the Power of Purity Meditation came to hold the meditation session. While he was talking, a lot of tears were falling down my face. I didn`t expect this reaction at all. From that experience on-wards I felt some kind of pain after each occasion. Once I experienced teeth pain. A few weeks later it has turned out at the dentist that some of my teeth need to be restored. When I experienced neck pain, the massage therapist helped me with that. It was obvious for me that some kind of cleaning was happening to my body both physically and emotionally.
The people who held the meditation sessions always told us that meditation should be our daily routine. I felt it was far away from me. It was because sometimes “’I didn’t even have time” for weekly practice despite of the great experiences I have mentioned previously. But finally, my time has come.
I faced a lot of challenges, you can read about them on the Spirituality in Practice Academy website. I had to do something to solve these challenges. I started to meditate every day. I meditated half an hour long every morning. It was so hard for me just to sit, but it was even harder to handle with a bunch of thoughts running through my head. I started to write a meditation diary and I noted down all the emotional experiences of my meditation times. Something was happening to me.
Then I started to meditate also in the evenings. I experienced so many changes in my body and in my mind. After the so called `cleaning period`, the stillness extension was the next level. It was followed by the gratitude extension. Finally, I never stopped to meditate every fucking day.
Did you try something similar, but it had no effect on you at all? How long did you try to meditate? How intensive was your effort? How strong was your pain-did you experience any pain? If no, never mind. Just try it again.
Tell yourself you will give it a try just for one month. And if it doesn’t work at all you will stop. But you won’t stop. It is very hard to do changes which we plan to do on a long term in our life. But don’t look the bigger picture, just do it day by day.
Which challenges will you probably face?
- You will be ashamed if someone who knows you figures out that you are sitting by your own, with crossed legs, in the dark, with closed eyes, like you are nuts or something similar.
- You will realize that meditating is so cool that you will spread your new hobby to everyone, including sharing selfie all over on the social networks. But you will not tell anyone that you tried to do this horrible job only once. You will not tell anyone either that you do not plan to repeat that shit ever fucking again.
- You will hardly believe that sitting in one place can change your life.
- You will not have time for it because you will be a busy bee during the entire day.
- Sitting without any action – OMG!
- If you face all of the above mentioned points, your head will be full of thoughts including what if you are going crazy at the end.
- You will feel confused or maybe even lost.
- You will notice that something is changing in your life but you will not know for sure what is changing around you and how it is possible. You will actually have the feeling like you are losing control. It is because probably you will lose it.
- You will have stronger senses regarding yourself. You will feel like you are introducing yourself to yourself. Your emotions will be clear for you, awareness of your thoughts will be present, and you will experience the emptiness of your thoughts more and more often.
HAPPY FIRST MEDITATION DAY